Saturday, May 28, 2011

Oxford or bust!

I was way too exhausted yesterday after the trip to Oxford to blog about it but now that i'm feeling a bit rested and have collected my thoughts I can share them with you.  OXFORD WAS AMAZING.  Walking in the same halls that the University Wits, Lewis Carol, Christopher Marlowe, and Christopher Wren once graced was humbling and awe inspiring.  The campus was vast, ancient, and lovely.  Honey colored stones built up in to cathedral like buildings where some of the smartest men in the world lectured to some of the smartest (or in some cases richest) students in the world.  It definitely made me feel a little puny in comparison.  I learned a lot about the rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge.  Saw the part of the Thames where the infamous boat races happen every year.  Also got to see a few studly young students with their preppy socks hiked up over their pant legs, and sweater vests tucked neatly in to their leather belts.  I don't think I would mind too much being the wife of an Oxford grad!

One of the most incredible parts of the trip was seeing where Alice in Wonderland was inspired.  The chestnut tree where young Alice's cheshire cat used to sit on to take naps.  The tiny little door where her Father, who was the Dean of Oxford at the time, would slip out of during luncheons after opening up his pocket watch and outcrying "I'm late!"  I can see why Lewis Carol was so inspired to write such a fantastical magical story.  Everything about this place was just that.  Magic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment